Help Out with Gcc
nick
2018-11-30 05:58:56 UTC
Greetings All,

I assume you get lots of these but I was wondering what's the
areas where gcc needs help the most these days that are good
for a new developer to gcc. The only other question I have
is the gcc internal manual here up to date for gcc 8 or
not?
https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gccint/index.html#SEC_Contents

Thanks,

Nick
David Malcolm
2018-11-30 13:58:01 UTC
Post by nick
Greetings All,
I assume you get lots of these but I was wondering what's the
areas where gcc needs help the most these days that are good
for a new developer to gcc.
There's a relevant section on the wiki, see
https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/#Getting_Started_with_GCC_Development
The https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/LibstdcxxTodo page also includes some
easy hacks suitable for new contributors.
Post by nick
The only other question I have
is the gcc internal manual here up to date for gcc 8 or
not?
https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gccint/index.html#SEC_Contents
Those docs cover the development trunk, and were last updated *after*
gcc-8 branched, but are still relevant for gcc-8.
FWIW I've put together my own guide for new GCC developers, based on my
experiences:
https://dmalcolm.fedorapeople.org/gcc/newbies-guide/index.html

I hope to merge this into the website somehow in the next few months.

Hope this is helpful
Dave