Status of powerpc*-*-*spe* ports in GCC 9?
Dries Deschout
2018-11-14 20:16:17 UTC

The changes summary of GCC 8 on https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-8/changes.html
states the powerpc*-*-*spe* ports will be removed if there is no
activity to revive them.

I could not find any more recent info about the status of the
powerpc*-*-*spe* ports for GCC 9.

Will powerpc*-*-*spe* support be available in GCC 9?

Thanks!
Dries
Richard Biener
2018-11-14 20:50:24 UTC
Post by Dries Deschout
Hi,
The changes summary of GCC 8 on https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-8/changes.html
states the powerpc*-*-*spe* ports will be removed if there is no
activity to revive them.
I could not find any more recent info about the status of the
powerpc*-*-*spe* ports for GCC 9.
Will powerpc*-*-*spe* support be available in GCC 9?
It looks like we'll rip it out.

Richard.
Post by Dries Deschout
Thanks!
Dries
Nathan Sidwell
2018-11-15 15:54:39 UTC
Post by Richard Biener
Post by Dries Deschout
I could not find any more recent info about the status of the
powerpc*-*-*spe* ports for GCC 9.
Will powerpc*-*-*spe* support be available in GCC 9?
It looks like we'll rip it out.
IIUC the functionality is moved to the newly named powerpcspe-*-* target?

nathan
Nathan Sidwell
Jakub Jelinek
2018-11-15 16:17:07 UTC
Post by Nathan Sidwell
Post by Richard Biener
Post by Dries Deschout
I could not find any more recent info about the status of the
powerpc*-*-*spe* ports for GCC 9.
Will powerpc*-*-*spe* support be available in GCC 9?
It looks like we'll rip it out.
IIUC the functionality is moved to the newly named powerpcspe-*-* target?
Yes, but the precondition of keeping that new target was that it will be
actually maintained. See PR81084 for details. The major problem is that
the port contains extremely large amount of dead code, say TARGET_64BIT
support, or Altivec/VSX support etc. The only changes to config/powerpcspe
since GCC 8 when it has been deprecated for these reasons were from people
who changed lots of ports at once, grepping for stuff. And, the fear is
that various changes from those have been just to code that should have been
removed instead.

Jakub